Thursday, May 28, 2009

cards for guys & boys





Making masculine cards can be a challenge. One thing to do for inspiration is find a suitable feminine design and adapt it. Here are two examples. The first is a dude's birthday card, with homemade background papers. This is an adaptation from an original by Nichole Heady, Papertrey Ink co-founder. You can see her card here. (it's the second card down, with a pattern adapted from the third card down). I showed the 'first draft' to the two guys I work with and they suggested some metal - so I added the grommets. This was also my first attempt at distressing edges. Fun!

The second is a belated birthday card and gift of cookies, perfected by Betsy Veldman. She has an incredible, colorful style. This ensemble knocked my socks off - see it here. My version used boy colors, and one of Lauren Meader's My Timeless Templates downloads. I really enjoyed making this. I hear the cookies were good, but if I had time I would have re-done them because they 'poofed' too much. For the card, I boffed using a knitting needle and metal ruler straight-edge to make embossed lines. So, I added a few more which actually turned out okay! The polka dots on the card are heat embossed but it's hard to tell from the picture.

SUPPLIES:
Masculine card: PTI Guidelines, Paper Tray, and Around & About Sentiments stamps; chocolate & white cardstock; chocolate & spring moss ink and ribbons. Making Memories silver grommets.

Belated bday gift: PTI Forest Friends, Polka Dot Basics and Borders & Corners Circle; summer sunrise, spring moss, ocean tides & stamper's select white cardstock; Polka Dot Parade patterned paper; summer sunrise, spring moss & ocean tides ink; summer sunrise & ocean tides ribbon; Rounded Wrap Up template. Also some jute (love it). Tools: EK Success slim profile edge punch, Marvy extra jumbo circle punch, regular hole punch, kintting needle & metal ruler (for embossed lines), sponge dauber (for edging).




No comments: